Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:18:29 +0100

Arne Babenhauserheide <address@hidden> writes:

> Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden> writes:
>> I have typed this message in emacs.
>
> Same for me, but getting people to use Emacs is harder. It might not
> *be* that complicated, but it *feels* different.
>
>> In my opinion one of the worst problems with Scheme is the Schemers:
>> Scheme lovers are often far too enthusiastic with defining new, esoteric
>> syntax instead of solving practical problems.
>>
>> Then, there's GOOPS, which in my opinion is simply an unnatural way to
>> go about object-oriented programming. It does violence both to ordinary
>> OO way of thinking and classic Lisp idioms.
>
> GOOPS works pretty well for me where I use it (for dispatch by
> type). Could you clarify your criticism: Do you think it is bad or is it
> just different?

My main beef with GOOPS is that it does not help with narrowing down on
a solution but rather with extending the problem space.  It is too
generic to provide guidance and a cohesive framework: if two different
people solve problems using GOOPS, the likelihood that those solutions
can be connected in interface or design better than non-GOOPS solutions
is slim.

--
David Kastrup