running Ao (was Re: bug-guile Digest, Vol 167, Issue 7)

From: Daniel Llorens
Subject: running Ao (was Re: bug-guile Digest, Vol 167, Issue 7)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 22:19:09 +0100

On 18 Feb 2017, at 18:00, address@hidden wrote:

> From: P Dii <address@hidden>
> Subject: bug#25780: version number
> Date: 18 Feb 2017 03:44:25 GMT+1
> To: address@hidden

> Hi,
>
> I am having a few problems with guile, I am not sure if this is the right
> place but the mailing list "http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-users/ "
> gives a 404 error.

the list is ‘guile-user’ without the s.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user

I'll close this bug.

> I installed guile-2.0.14 which I got form the website, and everything went
> fine but I am unable to find the new version, the command "guile --version"
> (or guile-2.0 --version) returns
>
> guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.11
> Packaged by Debian (2.0.11-deb+1-10)
>
> and I cant seem to  find the new version even in the libraies ( though
> guile-config returns "Guile version 2.0.14")

you may have installed the new version of Guile side to side with the old one
—that's normally a good thing to do if the system depends on the old one. But
you need to know where you've put the new version. What do you get from ‘which
guile’ and ‘which guile-config’?

> ;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
> ;;;       or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.
> ;;; compiling /opt/ao/bin/../bind/guile/ao/shapes.scm
> ;;; compiling /opt/ao/bin/../bind/guile/ao/transforms.scm
> guile: Couldn't find current GLX or EGL context.
>
> I checked arround and found something about GLX
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/guile-opengl/manual/html_node/GLX-API.html#GLX-API)
> when I tried the command from there, it goes..
>
> scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (glx))
> While compiling expression:
> ERROR: no code for module (glx)
GLX and EGL are libraries to open OpenGL contexts. guile-opengl is a separate
library (that doesn't come with Guile by default) and that provides bindings to
GLX from Guile itself.

But Ao doesn't use guile-opengl, it uses GLFW, which is a C library. I'm
guessing there's something going on with your drivers. If you search for
‘Couldn't find current GLX or EGL context’ you'll find this report:

https://github.com/mkeeter/ao/issues/18

Hope this helps.

        Daniel