Re: GNU Guile 2.1.7 released (beta)

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 2.1.7 released (beta)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 09:31:47 +0100

On Tue 28 Feb 2017 00:00, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> The main problems/TODOs are listed here (same for guile-2.0.13 and 2.1.7):
> https://ao2.it/tmp/lilypond-guile2/TODO
> With no warranty for completeness.
>
> Let me pick some of them:
> (1)
> lilypond filename_名字.ly
> returns
> fatal error: failed files: "filename_??????.ly"

Interesting, I would have thought that there would be a difference
between 2.0.13 and 2.1.7 due to GUILE_INSTALL_LOCALE; I assume you are
in a UTF-8 locale and that file name is UTF-8?

> (2)
> Floating point numbers are different in some decimal digits.
> Possible impact on spacing in a regression-test for utf-8.

If you have more details on the floating-point issue, they are very
welcome :)

> (3)
> Most imortant for users:
> LilyPond slowed down dramatically. Today I tested a huge file:
>
> lilypond 2.19.52 with guile-1.8
>
> real    9m8.229s
> user    6m41.156s
> sys     0m11.940s
>
> lilypond 2.19.56 with guile-2.1.7
>
> real    48m45.225s
> user    65m43.252s
> sys     0m6.320s

Do you have Guile 2.0 numbers as well?

I understand that Lilypond uses the "local-eval" facility a lot for
embedded Scheme.  This is a facility that was indeed faster in 1.8.  I
would expect that 2.1.7 would be faster than 2.0, if that were the case,
as 2.1.7's evaluator is faster.  Hard to say, though.  That interface
does not get a lot of speed attention.  We could take a look and see
what we can do.  I guess we need some profiling first.

Can you run lilypond under callgrind under 1.8 and 2.1.7 and attach the
generated callgrind.out.PID for each run?  Run like this:

  valgrind --tool=callgrind --num-callers=20 lilypond foo.ly

Thanks,

Andy