Re: Lilypond speed (was Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Lilypond speed (was Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 13:13:33 +0100

Hello,

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> skribis:

> Btw, I've improved my local setup to be able to test lilypond more
> quickly with different guile versions. Though I wasn't able to compile
> 1.8.8, neither from the repository nor from the tarball downloaded
> from
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/download/
> Due to:
> async.c: In function 'scm_i_queue_async_cell':
> async.c:243:14: error: variable 'count' set but not used
> [-Werror=unused-but-set-variable]
>        size_t count;
>               ^
>
> Am I missing something?

Could you try configuring like this:

  ./configure --disable-error-on-warning

?

> I'm aware noone is interested in developing 1.8.8 further, though I
> would have prefered to build lilypond with that version as well, like
> the other test-versions.

The performance gap in LilyPond between 1.8 and 2.0 is terrible.  I
suppose LilyPond uses ‘eval’ to run Scheme code?  What fraction of the
Scheme code being run for this benchmark is pre-compiled (as a .go
file)?  Is auto-compilation enabled, and could it be that the figures
include auto-compilation time?

Thanks,
Ludo’.