Re: The status of JIT compiler of Guile

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: The status of JIT compiler of Guile
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:19:50 +0800

Hi Andy!
I have similar idea, TJIT could be an optional package and people may
choose to install it seperately.
We may choose to integrate it when we thought it's mature enough.
In a conservative way, how about we keep the current status, say, I'll
keep maintaining guilt-tjit as separated project, and rebasing it with
the current master.
Then you're not so hurry to take care of TJIT to implement the hook
mechanism as we thought.

The only problem is people may have to install two Guile on their system.
But it's fine IMO.
People who just wants to play/learn Guile may install guile-tjit.
And people who wants to use Guile seriously (like me) should use upstream Guile.

Anyway, in principle, if people don't enable --tjit when start Guile,
then it should be the latest regular Guile even they use guile-tjit.
But it's just in principle, I need more research to see if there's
anything different.
That's why I suggest people in serious use case should choose upstream Guile.

WDYT?

Best regards.