Re: Guile foreign object interface

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Guile foreign object interface
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 11:15:14 +0100

David Kastrup writes:

> To a certain degree one can chalk this off as "growing pains" that
> long-standing users have to shoulder, at least when working with
> development rather than stable versions.

I’d like to chime in here. When looking at the prospects of larger Guile
adoption, I think that Lilypond is a critical component: It is an early
adopter and the absolute top tool in the niche it took.

People thinking about adopting Guile will ask themselves "is this a
viable longterm option?". They will then look at Lilypond, the prime
example of a highly successful Guile-using tool.

So this is not just a growing pain for Lilypond. It is a critical issue
for Guile.

Both communities, Lilypond and Guile, need Lilypond-Guile2 to work well.

And given the speed I see from Guile 2.1.7 at other tasks, there should
be ways to make Lilypond-Guile2.2 outperform Lilypond-Guile1.8
significantly.

Best wishes,
Arne

PS: Just saying "it’s a scripting language now" will not cut it. People
    who adopt Guile now will have to ask whether it will stay a viable
    option as scripting language, and they will again look at Lilypond
    to see whether Guile-as-an-option kept its promises.