Re: String internals sketch

From: Matt Wette
Subject: Re: String internals sketch
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:30:41 -0800

> On Mar 10, 2017, at 7:31 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've been mulling a bit over enabling UTF-8 as an internal string
> representation.  There are several interesting points to consider:

One point to consider on this topic is that guile is targeted (via the compiler
tower) to support other languages.   Strings in ecmascript, for example, are
16-bit code points, not 8 or 32.  I personally don’t care that the guile-2.2
hosted ecmascript can’t be a pedantic implementation, but it may generate
issues so some down the road.  (BTW, the other area in which guile does not
implement ecmascript is in representation of numbers