Re: guix is the guildhall that we always wanted!

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: guix is the guildhall that we always wanted!
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 16:10:45 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 15:04:52 +0100
>
> I think Andy was referring to the possibility of cross-compiling
> packages that use Guile to MinGW.  That is already possible thanks to
> the work of Jan Jan Nieuwenhuizen, and since yesterday, we can create
> “packs” that contain binaries cross-compiled for MinGW:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00525.html

I'm saying that when cross-compiling, it's easy to produce binaries
that are unusable on Windows because Guile is not run natively during
the build, and so problems inherent to the Windows port are not
revealed during the build.  Multithreading is one such issue, quite a
significant one.  Unless I disable multithreading, I cannot build
Guile natively, because every non-trivial Guile program crashes (I
reported that years ago, but no one was able to explain why that
happens or point me to a workaround).

So if the above binaries include threads, I'm afraid they might not be
very useful on Windows.