Re: question about atomics

From: joakim
Subject: Re: question about atomics
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 10:28:29 +0200

Chris Vine <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 26 May 2017 13:42:39 +0200
> address@hidden wrote:
>> Chris Vine <address@hidden> writes:

>> > That won't work.  You have to use atomic-box-compare-and-swap!, in
>> > order to detect interleaving by other threads.  For more on this,
>> > google "compare and swap".
>>
>> I wound up with this, is there some better way to do this? Feels a
>> bit verbose.
>>
>> (define (incatom atom)
>>   (let ((expected (atomic-box-ref atom)))
>>     (while (not (= expected (atomic-box-compare-and-swap! atom expected (+ 1
>> expected))))
>>       (set! expected (atomic-box-ref atom)))))
>
> I would be inclined to use a named let rather than while and set!, but
> that is a matter of taste.
>
> I have not used guile's atomic-box, but looking at the documentation it
> says that atomic-box-compare-and-swap! takes a scheme object as 'expected'
> and compares using eq?.  In that case, your use of the = comparator on the
> return value is wrong.  I find that part of the documentation quite
> difficult to penetrate: if atomic-box is capable of holding numbers
> then presumably it wraps the number into an object capable of being
> compared using eq? for you, if not you would have to wrap the number in,
> say, a single element list yourself.  Dunno, sorry, I know how to do CAS
> in C but not using this scheme procedure.  You may need to look at the
> implementation in the guile source to see how to use it correctly.
>
> If in doubt, you could always go back to using a mutex and a number, I
> guess.  Less efficient but it may be sufficient for your purposes.

For some reason = worked here, I haven't delved further into it.

The named let suggestion was also good thanks.

In the end it turned out I also needed a mutex to synchronize output, so
now I have both a mutex and an atomic for the same thing(a console
progress indicator), which is kind of redundant I guess.

Anyway, I learned new things about guile, so thanks again!

--
Joakim Verona
address@hidden