Re: [bootstrappable] Can Guile be bootstrapped from source without psynt

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: [bootstrappable] Can Guile be bootstrapped from source without psyntax-pp.scm?
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 12:48:39 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Well looking at the contents of psyntax-pp.scm
> (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=blob;f=module/ice-9/psyntax-pp.scm;h=e2ebeced117d4c43ca2eb3ca3a1b659f3fb62d9a;hb=HEAD)
> I would argue it counts as source code as it is in a form that is human
> readable and modifiable.

The GNU licenses define "source code" as "the preferred form of the work
for making modifications to it".  I think it is quite important for our
future liberty that we hold to this definition and not accept a weaker
one.

> But I am glad that you were concerned about potential non-human readable
> sources required in bootstraps :D

Yes, this is an area of great concern for me, hence my efforts to
mitigate the problem.

     Thanks,
       Mark