Re: dynamic-wind

From: Vítor De Araújo
Subject: Re: dynamic-wind
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2017 11:09:25 -0300

On 09/07/2017 09:59, Chris Vine wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 00:34:13 +0300
> Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden> writes:
>> Hm. Python's try/finally has several uses in virtually every
>> program.
>>
>> Trouble is, Scheme's continuations make it impossible to know when
>> something is really final.
>>
>> In fact, implementing coroutines and cooperative multitasking using
>> continuations almost guarantee a repeated back-and-forth through
>> dynamic-wind.
>>
>> I strongly suspect Scheme's continuations are more trouble than they
>> are worth.
>
> I disagree with that.  On the first point, you know that a
> dynamic-wind block can no longer be re-entered (if that is what you mean
> by "really final") when the continuation object concerned is no longer
> accessible.  At that point it, and all references to other objects
> encapsulated by the continuation, will be released in the ordinary
> way.  You also know the same when your continuation is only an escape
> continuation.

That helps the implementation know if a continuation will not be entered
again, but it does not help when you want to do the kinds of things you
do with unwind-protect or try/finally in other languages. For example,
with unwind-protect, you can open a port or another resource and ensure
it will be closed if control escapes the unwind-protect form. You can do
that with dynamic-wind, but it is less meaningful to do so because
control can be re-entered again. There is no language construct (as far
as I know – maybe there is in Guile) that can detect that flow has
exited the form and *will never enter it again*. So the presence of
continuations make operations like unwind-protect less meaningful. I
don't know what is the Scheme way to address these situations.

--
Vítor De Araújo
https://elmord.org/