Re: Guile bugs

From: Linas Vepstas
Subject: Re: Guile bugs
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 18:02:26 -0500

Hi Marko,

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden> wrote:

> Linas Vepstas <address@hidden>:
> > So if you used GC_malloc_atomic() in your code, then gc will NOT scan
> > that region for pointers. guile-2.2 does this correctly for strings (I
> > checked) because strings will never contain pointers. I have not
> > checked other uses.
>
> The question about mmap(2) is addressed more directly by the README
> under <URL: https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc>:
>
>    Any objects not intended to be collected must be pointed to either
>    from other such accessible objects, or from the registers, stack,
>    data, or statically allocated bss segments. [...]
>
>    WARNING: pointers inside memory allocated by the standard malloc are
>    not seen by the garbage collector. Thus objects pointed to only from
>    such a region may be prematurely deallocated. It is thus suggested
>    that the standard malloc be used only for memory regions, such as I/O
>    buffers, that are guaranteed not to contain pointers to garbage
>    collectible memory.
>
>    [...]
>
>    WARNING: the collector does not guarantee to scan thread-local
>    storage (e.g. of the kind accessed with pthread_getspecific). The
>    collector does scan thread stacks
>
> Now, the question is, can you make your multigigabyte allocation go into
> these excluded memory segments? Are you still hit by the pathological GC
> behavior you reported?

What, my app, specifically? Uh yeah. All of my c++ objects go through
plain-old malloc and should be 100% invisible to guile and to bdwgc and
that's perfect.

I do have a layer where guile interacts with the C++ code, and all the
various bits and pieces are correctly declared everywhere.  That code is
about 8-10 years old, its been maintained all that time, its been in use
all that time, and works without issues.

"works without issues" means this: A typical run for me uses some 50-100
threads, maybe 1/2 of these in guile. Due to lock contention, in practice
only 3 to 10 of these threads ever get scheduled, and this is fine, and not
unexpected.  My algos are the opposite of "embrassingly parallel", so low
parallelism is expected. Each processing run goes for a few days to weeks
or over a month, uses 2 to 50GB RAM, does not leak memory, does not crash,
its stable, predictable, does what its supposed to do, terminates cleanly.

It does sometimes run much slower than expected (about 1/2x or 1/4x) and I
don't know why.  I don't usually monitor GC, but when I do, it seems that a
lot of cpu time gets wasted there. Sometimes other people also notice this,
bitch at me, and propose silly solutions. I've been ignoring that as
lower-priority.

Only now it's risen up and is biting hard, and I don't understand how or
why gc gets triggered in guile.  For my app, it seems that it is running
far, far too often, and is severely slowing/preventing forward progress.

--linas

--
*"The problem is not that artificial intelligence will get too smart and
take over the world," computer scientist Pedro Domingos writes, "the