Re: out-of-control GC

From: Linas Vepstas
Subject: Re: out-of-control GC
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 13:41:35 -0500

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 2:42 AM, Kjetil Matheussen <address@hidden
> wrote:

> This is probably not the reason, but could it be that your program has a
> lot of global/static data,
> or that you are dynamically loading more and more libraries that has
> global/static data?
> (global/static data are scanned by bdw-gc, unless explicitly prevented
> from doing so)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think so. There are a few dozen
shared libs, I doubt they have more than a few KB of .data and .bss
segments.  Its pretty "normal" C++ code.

Now, there are lots of threads, each which has thread-local sections but
its hard to imagine how this would add up to more than a few megabytes.

--linas

--
*"The problem is not that artificial intelligence will get too smart and
take over the world," computer scientist Pedro Domingos writes, "the