Re: [Readable-discuss] wisp literal array syntax for Guile, a good idea?

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: [Readable-discuss] wisp literal array syntax for Guile, a good idea?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 18:29:33 +0100

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your answer!

Alan Manuel Gloria <address@hidden> writes:

> This is arguably NOT a Guile-specific issue, but rather a general issue.
> Clojure uses its array syntax for parts of its syntax, for example.
>
> The ## seems OK, but how about just plain # ?

That’s part of why it’s Guile specific: I cannot use the plain #,
because that’s the prefix for symbols and illegal syntax for read. I
don’t see a way to do this as simple reader addition.

> So like (using only (read) and not (eval (read))):
>
> ' a b
> => (quote (a b))
> '(a b)
> => (quote (a b))
> # a b
> => #(a b)
> #(a b)
> => #(a b)

I’d like to do it that way, but from what I can tell, doing that would
mean that I have to special-case all special syntax reading, while with
the ## I can harness regular symbol reading in Guile.

The # is the prefix for all kinds of special elements (i.e. #' #, #,@)
and I’m not sure it’s a good idea to take the symbol itself for a given
feature.

Best wishes,
Arne
--