Re: Website translations with Haunt

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Website translations with Haunt
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 12:39:22 +0100

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 08:23:50AM -0500, Thompson, David wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 4:16 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> skribis:
> >
> >> I want to ask for your thoughts on my new solution since translations
> >> are probably important to many Haunt users.  In particular, I believe
> >> there was some discussion on Website translation on the Guile or Guix
> >> lists as well.
> >
> > I’d love those sites to support translation!  If we could integrate your
> > solution as a Haunt extension or something, that’d be great.
>
> I agree! Thanks to everyone that is working on this. I would love to
> include translation support in Haunt but I'm completely clueless about
> the right way to do things, so I'd be happy to receive some patches
> that implement it nicely. :)
>
> Thanks again!
>
> - Dave

I would be really glad to see this upstream.  I will take a look at
how to integrate ffi-helper in the build system and then send patches
with my approach, unless you dislike the syntax.

Currently there is a need to always pass the current-lingua to all
procedures because that is what my gettext syntax (_ "Hello") reads
the locale from.  I’m not sure, maybe this is the right approach to
explicitly pass it to each procedure, but maybe something like how
G-expressions wrap the store is better, but I have not fully
understood or even really looked at G-expressions yet.  We can discuss
the syntax later though when I have working patches.

Regards,
Florian