Re: UUID3 implementation for Guile

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: UUID3 implementation for Guile
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 11:00:26 +0100

Le 2018-01-08 15:58, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) a écrit :
Hello,

I need to generate a unique deterministic ID for Haunt and other Web
stuff.  Therefore I implemented UUID version 3 and MD5 by myself.  But
I wonder:

* Why is UUID3 support not in Guile proper?  Does it belong there?
  Should I submit a patch?

It definitly has a place in Guile, if it's not already provided by
another GNU project like libgcrypt or gnutls. You need to patch
branch-2.2 with your code, tests and documentation and send the
patch to address@hidden

* Is there already a better implementation out there?  Apparently
  there is an implementation in Gauche Scheme.  I also find this.

  https://github.com/marcomaggi/industria/tree/master/weinholt

The official repository for industria is the following:

  https://github.com/weinholt/industria/

I use some of those in my web projects, including argon2

https://github.com/a-guile-mind/culturia.one/blob/master/src/argon2.scm

I think you'd better avoid both md5 and sha1 because there
are attacks against them.

  Here the Guile list talked about using gcrypt from Guile.

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2013-02/msg00009.html

I think it's better to rely on libgcrypt and gnutls. I don't
do that myself, yet, because industria is the easy solution.

The problem with industria is that we are not sure it's used
by people and that the cryptography is correct. Whereas libgcrypt
and gnutls have a much wider audience with less chances of bugs
and compromissions.

Can you explain how do you use md5 and uuid3 with haunt?

FWIW I would prefer to use something base62, instead of exposing
a md5 hash directly.