Re: UUID3 implementation for Guile

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: UUID3 implementation for Guile
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 14:29:43 +0100

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 11:00:26AM +0100, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:
> […]
> I think it's better to rely on libgcrypt and gnutls. I don't
> do that myself, yet, because industria is the easy solution.
>
> The problem with industria is that we are not sure it's used
> by people and that the cryptography is correct. Whereas libgcrypt
> and gnutls have a much wider audience with less chances of bugs
> and compromissions.

Rereading the old thread, if there are not any new options I will use
gcrypt with some sort of FFI.  Thank you!

> Can you explain how do you use md5 and uuid3 with haunt?
>
> FWIW I would prefer to use something base62, instead of exposing
> a md5 hash directly.

I need to automatically generate unique ids for Haunt’s Atom feeds and
for the CSS of a non-JavaScript sortable HTML table (i.e. multiple
variants of the same table between which one can switch with CSS).
The automatic generation should be deterministic so the page does not
change when rebuilding the Web site.  That is why I wanted to use
UUID3 for it.  I thought security need not be considered here but who
knows, maybe I should just use a secure hash instead of a UUID.

Regards,
Florian