Re: What tools do you use with Guile?

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: What tools do you use with Guile?
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 21:49:03 -0700

On Mon, Apr 02, 2018 at 10:04:59PM -0400, Erik Edrosa wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Something I have been wondering is what tools does the community use to
> work on their GNU Guile projects?
>
> What do you use to build your projects? Do you use autotools,
> handwritten Makefiles, some other build system, or don't even use any
> build tools?

Handwritten makefile first, then autotools if I'm going to let other
people see it.

> How do you manage your software written in Guile? Do you use a package
> manager like GNU Guix, use the build system to install packages, or just
> copy files to your project directories?

If it doesn't come with Fedora dnf, I build it from source and install it
in the standard directories.

> What do you use to test your projects? srfi-64, guile-lib, or some other
> library?

Typically, I use the parallel test harness that is built into Automake
as the test runner.  Using that test runner, I write each test as its
own scheme script.

> What text editor do you use? GNU Emacs, vim, or some other editor? What
> extensions do you use for your editor?

For Guile I use Emacs, sometimes with Geiser.

> Do you use other languages on Guile? Wisp, Lua, or some other language?

No.  But I like the idea of Wisp.

> Any other tool worth mentioning?

I do most of my debugging of guile scripts in GDB.  I also have a
structured logging library that can write to the systemd binary log,
when I want to make a lot of debugging spew and look at it later.

For some scheme scripts, I want to edit as multiple files but then
assemble them into a single file, so I use M4 to let me include
scripts in other scripts.

-Mike Gran