[ANN] Burro, a game engine

From: Mike Gran
Subject: [ANN] Burro, a game engine
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 23:09:21 -0700

I'd like to introduce a project I've been working on, called
Burro Engine.

This is an experiment where I tried to write an interactive fiction
game engine rather like the popular Twine game engine, except using
GTK3 instead of the browser as the rendering engine.

Burro Engine is written in a mixture of C and Scheme, and it uses an
embedded Guile interpreter: the game scripts are written in a subset
of Scheme.  This subset consists of the procedures in (ice-9 sandbox)
plus a handful of procedures provided by Burro itself.

The use of 'ice-9 sandbox' is to provide some security from
maliciously written game scripts.

It builds and runs, but it is early.  See the TODO.org for information
on what needs to be done.

There are no docs yet, but, the game script in "games/demo.burro"
  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/spk121/burro/master/game/demo.burro

If you've spent enough time staring at Scheme, and SXML, then the game
script should be 'self-documenting', lol.  I don't really like how the game
scripts turned out.  They are still too complicated and intimidating
looking. I need to figure out how to make them much simpler.

There is a gameplay video of me playing the demo at
  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/spk121/burro/master/game/screencast01.webm

You can browse the repo at
  https://github.com/spk121/burro
You can clone the repo with git
  https://github.com/spk121/burro.git
You can download the repo at
  https://github.com/spk121/burro/archive/master.zip

There is no proper release yet.  The proper release will occur when
I've completed the associated game.  The game is called "Visiting
Day", an interactive fiction about the experience of visiting one's
child in jail.

--
This program was built with many dependencies
gtk+-3.0, version 3.22

Thanks,

Mike Gran