Re: My Lisp Game Jam entry

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: My Lisp Game Jam entry
Date: Tue, 1 May 2018 19:13:00 -0700

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 10:03:53PM +0200, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> I built and ran it from source and liked it a lot!

Thanks.

> Does this work *reliably* on Windows? I???ve been suffering from a hard
> time to ship games for Windows, and if you???ve solved that, this would be
> a huge step forward (for me)!

The Windows build seems quite reliable, but, what I ended up doing was
making a static build of libguile that incorporated a static build of
all its dependencies.  That build is 32-bit only, with no threads, using
a version of gc compiled with its default static makefile.

The 32-bit is necessary, because Guile expects sizeof(void*) == sizeof(long)
as a hard requirement.

That static build is likely unnecessary, but, I did it that way to make
debugging easier.

The null threads is currently necessary.  There is some sort of mutex
lock in the GC when Guile is compiled with libwinpthreads.  It actully
runs when built with libwinpthreads, but, locks up on cleanup,
especially when smobs are present. I didn't have time to debug it.

You can see the script I used to build a static Guile with its
dependencies in https://github.com/spk121/psychic-guacamole/
I built it using the msys2 flavor of mingw32.

> Best wishes,
> Arne

Regards,
Mike