Trouble trying to use some modules from the docs

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Trouble trying to use some modules from the docs
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 19:13:07 +0200

Hello Guile mailing list members,

Guile Scheme beginner here.

I want to play with network programming things in Guile a little, but I
cannot figure out how to use the modules, which are described in the
docs at
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Network-Sockets-and-Communication.html
.

There is no (use-modules ...) example anywhere I looked and I could also
not find any examples in search engines. For other modules I somehow
always found an example (use-modules ...) somewhere, mostly in the docs.

Is there some inherent way of simply knowing how to import a module? I
did not read all of the docs from front to back, but that really should
not be necessary in order to use some part of it.

What I've tried already:

(use-modules (ice-9 posix))  ; maybe the same way many other things are
imported?
(use-modules (posix))  ; maybe it's its own module?
(use-modules (std posix))  ; maybe "std" for "standard" works?

None of those worked in the REPL.

A search on Github:

https://github.com/cky/guile/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=use-modules+posix&type=

Yielded the following interesting result:

https://github.com/cky/guile/blob/c1eb929258fc6b9653d31c0d1bc654d9e300d4e5/module/ice-9/boot-9.scm#L1445

But why does (use-modules (ice-9 posix)) not work then? I am out of ideas.

Can you point me to the part of the docs, which explain how to always
know how to import a module, if there is such? Or, if there is no such
thing, can you help me out in this case?

Regards,

Zelphir