Re: lat? and atom? not in guile?

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: lat? and atom? not in guile?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 19:33:01 +0200

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 11:18:30 -0400
> From: Joshua Branson <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: lat? and atom? not in guile?
>

> Hello,
>
> This question comes from a non-scheme guy.  I'm not trying to be
> critical of guile.  I'm just curious.
>
> So I have the book "The Little Schemer".  The book describes the
> procedures: "lat?" and "atom?".  Surprisingly, guile does not seem to
> define these procedures by default.  I had assumed that these procedures
> were apart of standard scheme, but I guess that is not the case.
>
> Is there any plan to define these procedures?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joshua

Good choice, I am reading it too currently. Maybe I should share my unit
tests somewhere?

I think many Schemes do not implement these procedures. Guile does not
and neither does Racket, which I used for most of the books examples and
exercises. I think those procedures are defined in the book in order to
have a common ground for a lot of Schemes, so that you can use whatever
you want and so that the ideas of the book are clear and not dependent
on one specific Scheme dialect.

I don't know about any plans of the Guile developers though.

~ Zelphir