Re: lat? and atom? not in guile?

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: lat? and atom? not in guile?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:55:43 -0400

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:40 AM, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:37 AM, Joshua Branson <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>

>> Oh hey David!  Thanks for the explanation!  Maybe I need to take another
>> look at that book then.  I found it a little repetitive, but I am
>> probably not quite grasping some of the fundamentals.
>>

> It's meant to be repetitive.  It's explicitly compared in the introduction
> to Hanon's finger exercises for the piano:  C-E-F-G-A-G-F-E,
> D-F-G-A-B-A-G-F, E-G-A-B-C-B-A-D and so on forever, up the scale and down
> in every key.  Boring as hell, but just the thing to get fluency into your
> fingers.

It's repetitive but honestly I found that the comedic writing made the
exercises very entertaining. I was rarely bored.  I don't play the
piano, but I do play drums, and the equivalent to Hanon's finger
exercises is an old book called Stick Control, which is definitely in
the boring as hell category! I'm glad that Lisp beginners have
something more fun available. :)

- Dave