Re: How to notice abrupt tcp connection losses in server/client?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to notice abrupt tcp connection losses in server/client?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 09:27:30 +0300

> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 00:09:16 +0100
> From: Chris Vine <address@hidden>
>
> I think you will need to use recv! with windows, because you cannot
> read from sockets in windows using POSIX read().

What makes you say that?  It isn't true; Gawk does that on Windows,
and it works very well.  The only two issues, which are easy to
overcome with wrappers or macros, are:

  . you need to create the socket with 'WSASocket; rather than
    'socket', since the latter creates overlapped sockets that cannot
    be used with file I/O APIs;
  . you need to convert the SOCKET type (which is a handle in
    disguise) into a file descriptor and back using a pair of library
    functions

Perhaps Guile doesn't yet do that (I didn't look, it could be in
Gnulib functions), but it would be easy to add if so.