Re: c99 support

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: c99 support
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 11:13:21 +0200

Chris Vine <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 22:12:39 +0200
> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there anyone who compiles Guile with a compiler that does not support
>> C99?  If so, please give platform and compiler.
>>
>> I think my questions are limited to, in decreasing order of importance:
>>
>>   * Is there any system that we target that doesn't have C99 stdint.h
>>     and stddef.h ?
>>
>>   * Is there any system that we target that doesn't support C99 inline
>>     functions?
>>
>>   * C99 mixed decls and statements?
>>
>>   * C99 one-line comments (// foo) ?
>>
>>   * C99 compound literals? ((struct x) { 1, 2 }) ?
>>
>>   * stdbool.h
>>
>> I would like to use C99 inside Guile, and I want to eventually replace
>> scm_t_uint8 with uint8_t.
>
> I include guile headers in C++11 code.  These C99 features seem to
> be in current C++ (uint8_t is definitely supported if available on
> the platform), except that my earlier assumption that compound literals
> were in C++11 was wrong.  They do work, but that's because they are a
> supported gcc, clang and MSVC extension in C++. That's decent coverage
> though.

OpenIndiana requires GCC 4.4.4 to build, so if Guile should be usable
for Solaris/Illumos development, compatibility to that would be
important. 4.4.4 seems to already support major parts of C99, but I’m not
sure whether something is missing: https://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html

https://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/How+To+Build+illumos#HowToBuildillumos-GCC

Best wishes,
Arne