Re: [ANN] Guile Hall Release (v0.1.1)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [ANN] Guile Hall Release (v0.1.1)
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 22:35:11 +0200

Hello Alex,

Alex Sassmannshausen <address@hidden> skribis:

> Otherwise you can get the code from
> https://gitlab.com/a-sassmannshausen/guile-hall/, and build (hopefully)
> using the traditional
> $ autoreconf -vif && ./configure && make
> dance.
>
> What is Guile Hall?
>
> From the README:
>
> Hall is a command-line application and a set of Guile libraries that
> allow you to quickly create and publish Guile projects.  It allows you
> to transparently support the GNU build system, manage a project
> hierarchy & provides tight coupling to Guix.

This looks really great!  There’s this longstanding issue with
distributing Guile code, and this seems to be a good approach.

In particular, that it’s not a Guix-only solution, while at the same
time offering Guix support is really a wise choice.

I think we should advertise it widely, it’ll be immensely helpful to
newcomers.  When the manual is more complete ;-), we could refer to it
from guile.texi, too.

I wonder if it would be useful to have a “standalone” mode, where Hall
would rely neither on Autoconf/Automake nor on Guix to do basic things
like building code.  It might help newcomers.  You wouldn’t want to
reimplement everything though, so I don’t know if this is a viable
approach.  Thoughts?

Thank you!

Ludo’.