Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 18:49:07 +0200

Thompson, David writes:

Hi David,

>> Do you know of real simple hello-world style "games" made with
>> chickadee, say just the bird moving from left to right, respond to arrow
>> press or space bar?
>
> I don't know of anyone that has done that. It's not hard to do, but I
> think using something higher level built on Chickadee would be more
> appropriate for teaching children.  Chickadee is high-level in a sense
> because it abstracts away complicated OpenGL things and provides
> useful utilities, but low-level in another sense that it leaves it up
> to the user to assemble all the pieces.  "Batteries not included", if
> you will.  I'm working on a project called Starling, which is a small
> object-oriented game engine that has the batteries included.  I'll
> share more when I'm ready for a 0.1 release.

Awesome!  A couple of years ago I found `Laby' and my daughters liked it
a lot.  I contributed a Guile mode.

They lost interest and I'm looking for something new; chickadee looks
just so grand.  Esp. because I'm hoping it could be used as an
introductory thing, but grow into a real-world game.

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com