Re: [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [ANN] guile-msgpack: MessagePack for GNU Guile (+ help needed)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:44:26 -0400

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 7:32 PM HiPhish <address@hidden> wrote:

> John Cowan wrote:
>

> How popular is r6rs anyway? From what I gathered it was pretty badly
> received
> and r7rs small was intentionally designed to be less ambitious, while the
> upcoming r7rs will be larger than even Common Lisp.

That's basically correct, but there are still a fair number of R6RS-only
implementations, and if the number isn't growing, it's not shrinking either.
Racket has an unofficial R7RS implementation, but I don't expect that
to happen with Chez, Guile, Ikarus, IronScheme, Mosh, or Ypsilon.
(Larceny and Sagittarius are hybrid R6RS/R7RS systems.)
Some of these are more in development than others, but you
never can tell with a Scheme implementation when a new release
will appear without warning.  In addition, it's not hard to transform
R6RS libraries to R7RS ones or vice versa.

> Yes, after writing my original email I found out how to bind an unknown
> number
> of values, but there doesn't seem to be a way of returning an unknown
> number
> of values.

(apply values list-of-vals) is your friend.

> > GoFundMe seems like the right thing.
> GoFundMe is about fundraising campaigns, I was thinking something along
> the
> lines of a tip-jar where you can chip in a little if you want.

You might look into Open Collective.

--
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        address@hidden
They tried to pierce your heart with a Morgul-knife that remains in