Re: GUI Framework Options

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: GUI Framework Options
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 12:54:41 +0100

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 19:38:35 -0300
David Pirotte <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi again,

> > No I didn't. I do remember we talked about this, but I can't find the
> > emails we've
> > exchanged about this, nor could I find a snipset to reproduce it (I must
> > have lost
> > these emails): with absolutely no promise what so ever, please re-post the
> > short
> > example you made at the time so we can reproduce it.
>
> I found the thread that leaded to our conversation, and within it, here is
> the email
> containing yor example ...:
>
>       https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2016-02/msg00104.html
>
> I do not plan to work on this, but if anyone wants to fix it, well please do
> and let
> us know ...

I have looked at it a couple of times and given up.  I have found the
guile-gnome wrapper impenetrable.

There are other things wrong with guile-gnome which makes it (in my
view) not especially usable.  One which comes to mind is that
g-io-add-watch won't compile in user code, nor will much else of the
GIOChannel stuff, which is quite a fail if you want to write callbacks
for asynchronous i/o events using the glib main loop.  There is a work-
around for the first of those (g-io-add-watch) but not (as far as I can
tell) for the other related issues (you cannot for example get a
GIOCondition status).  This is a wrapper problem, possibly caused by the
introduction of the gio namespace in glib some years ago (which has
nothing to do with GIOChannel).

Chris