Re: What's up with 'current-load-port'

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: What's up with 'current-load-port'
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 20:43:04 -0500

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> what's up with 'current-load-port'?
>
> Simply checking in a guile-prompt I get:
> guile-1.8: #<primitive-procedure current-load-port>
> guile-2.0.14: #<procedure current-load-port ()>
> guile-2.2.4 and guile-2.9.1:
> ;;; <unknown-location>: warning: possibly unbound variable `current-load-port'
> ERROR: In procedure module-lookup: Unbound variable: current-load-port
>
> It's in the manual, though, without any hint it could be deprecated or
> disabled or the need to use a certain module.

Good catch.  I agree that this was mishandled.

Out of curiosity, what do you use 'current-load-port' for?

Although it's in the manual, the description doesn't really describe
what the procedure returns, or when one can rely upon it being set.  It
only says that it's "used internally by 'primitive-load'".

      Mark