Re: How to build GNUTLS Guile bindings on Xubuntu

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: How to build GNUTLS Guile bindings on Xubuntu
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 13:58:59 -0500

Hi Alex,

Alex Vong <address@hidden> writes:

> Zelphir Kaltstahl <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I took another look at the page you linked to. The issue is, that I
>> would like to try Guix package manager to install GNUTLS + Guile
>> bindings, but Guix itself has the requirement of GNUTLS + Guile
>> bindings. See:
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Requirements.html#Requirements
>>
>> So I guess I would need to somehow get GNUTLS and Guile bindings working
>> before getting Guix and then when I have Guix, I can probably somehow
>> link to the Guix installed GNUTLS and Guile bindings.
>>
>> Now I don't know where I would get the Guile bindings from. Are they
>> included in the releases on https://gnutls.org/ ?
>>
> As Mark has pointed out, if you use the binary installation of guix,
> then you can install gnutls using guix. However, I prefer to build guix
> from source. Therefore, I use the standard "configure, make, make
> install" method with appropriate CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS
> (I include some hardending flags[0][1]):
>
>   ./configure --with-included-libtasn1 --with-included-unistring
> --with-guile-site-dir=/usr/local/share/guile/site/2.2
>   make
>   make check
>   make install
>
> The above works in Debian. Apart from it, you also have to build
> scheme-bytestructure, guile-git and guile-sqlite3 from source using the
> same method. Besides, it is important to keep gnutls up to date (since
> it is a piece of security-sensitive software).

Interesting.  I haven't tried building Guix from source on Debian in a
few years, but it's not clear to me how your suggestion above addresses
the original problem that Zelphir mentioned, namely that Guix requires
the Guile bindings for GnuTLS, which are not included in Debian.  I
don't see any mention of building those bindings above.  Am I missing
something?

       Mark