Re: Long command line arguments using SRFI 37

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: Long command line arguments using SRFI 37
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 14:22:53 +0100

Il giorno ven 4 gen 2019 alle ore 19:55 Zelphir Kaltstahl <
address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Hi Guile Users,
>
> I have a question regarding the usage of SRFI 37. Is it possible to have
> long arguments, which one can use as follows:
>
> guile main.scm --argument value
>
> This is what I am used to with other command line programs. It seems to
> me, when I use SRFI 37, I can only get it to allow the following style
> of command line arguments:
>
> guile main.scm --argument=value
> guile main.scm --argument="some value"
>
> It is not really a big issue, but I think it would still be great to
> have a way of allowing the first style as well, as I just spend an hour
> or so trying to figure out what was wrong with my program, until I took
> a look at my example code (see link below) again and checked how it
> behaved with style 1 and noticed it has the same error.
>
> I have the example code, where I am trying to use SRFI 37, on:
>

> https://gitlab.com/zelphir-kaltstahl-projects/guile-scheme-tutorials-and-examples/blob/dev/command-line-arguments/using-srfi-37.scm
>
> Maybe I am missing something or doing something wrong?
>
> Regards,
>
> Zelphir

Hi Zelphir,

I can't help you with the processing of arguments with Guile, as I don't
know the first thing about that

I want to thank you for collecting that set of examples and tutorials

I only skimmed through the macro section and it seems quite interesting

Examples are very important and the Guile documentation sorely misses some
examples

Also, I also had the experience to struggle and waste lots of time with
Guile for quite simple things, too

For example, it too me some years to learn the usage of readline for a
better REPL experience (this information is sinked deep in the manual)

It also too me a long time to get the gist of the "eval buffer" command in
Geiser

You might be interested in this talk
https://archive.fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/legacy_docs/

There is another library of examples that Tantalum pointed me to, this one
https://github.com/sph-mn/sph-lib/tree/master/modules/sph/server

Together with yours, this material is becoming meaningful, if not
substantive

Maybe the Guile website could point to these collections, maybe they could
be merged into one library only, we'll see

For now I just wanted to acknowledge your effort

Thanks