Re: Use GUIX installed packages / libraries in Guile

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: Use GUIX installed packages / libraries in Guile
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 17:29:39 +0100

Il giorno sab 12 gen 2019 alle ore 13:27 Zelphir Kaltstahl <
address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> A while ago I installed Guix, initially only to be able to install

Hi Zelphir,

you would probably post your question on the guix help mailing list,
because this has more to do with Guix than with Guile

That said, I happened to have your exact same need: a build of Gnutls that
carried the Guile bindings. The Gnutls provided by Debian and Ubuntu don't

I am on Ubuntu 18.04.1 too

So I built Gnutls myself

This initiative was successful. In fact I have managed to build Guix and to
use guile-hall (it uses https to download some bits)

That's a path you could go through

If you are interested in this option, there are a couple of threads I
opened on the Gnutls-help mailing list

First:
https://lists.gnutls.org/pipermail/gnutls-help/2019-January/004473.html

Second (this second thread contains the exact call to the configure script
that I used):
https://lists.gnutls.org/pipermail/gnutls-help/2019-January/004477.html

As for allowing Guile to find the right version of Gnutls, on Ubunt setting
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your environment won't do (usually setting it in
your ~/.bashrc file or your ~/.profile file)

You have to put a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d containing the path to your
custom lib directory

I put a /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nettle.conf file containing:
/home/catonano/opt/lib

I called such file nettle.conf" because Nettle is a dependency for Gnutls
but the one provided by Ubuntu is a bit too old, so I built Nettle 3.4.1
too, before building Gnutls of course

It may seem cluncky and laboroius, but it works !

I hope this helps !