Re: string-ports issue on Windows

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: string-ports issue on Windows
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 17:18:38 -0400

Hi again,

Earlier, I wrote:

> Christopher Lam <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Mark
>> Thank you so much for looking into this.
>> I'm reviewing the GnuCash for Windows package (v3.5 released April 2019)
>> which contains the following libraries:
>> - guile 2.0.14
>
> Ah, for some reason I thought you were using Guile 2.2.  That explains
> the problem.
>
> In Guile 2.0, string ports internally used the locale encoding by
> default, which meant that any characters not supported by the locale
> encoding would be munged.
>
> Guile 2.2 changed the behavior of string ports to always use UTF-8
> internally, which ensures that all valid Guile strings can pass through
> unmunged.
>
> So, this problem would almost certainly be fixed by updating to
> Guile 2.2.

It's probably a good idea to update to Guile 2.2 anyway, but I'd like to
also offer the following workaround, which monkey patches the string
port procedures in Guile 2.0 to behave more like Guile 2.2.

Note that it only patches the Scheme APIs for string ports, and not the
underlying C functions.  It might be that some code, possibly within
Guile itself, creates a string port using the C functions, and such
string ports may still munge characters.

Anyway, if you want to try it, arrange for GnuCash to evaluate the code
below, after initializing Guile.

      Mark

(when (string=? (effective-version) "2.0")
  ;; When using Guile 2.0.x, use monkey patching to change the
  ;; behavior of string ports to use UTF-8 as the internal encoding.
  ;; Note that this is the default behavior in Guile 2.2 or later.
  (let* ((mod                     (resolve-module '(guile)))
         (orig-open-input-string  (module-ref mod 'open-input-string))
         (orig-open-output-string (module-ref mod 'open-output-string))
         (orig-object->string     (module-ref mod 'object->string))
         (orig-simple-format      (module-ref mod 'simple-format)))

    (define (open-input-string str)
      (with-fluids ((%default-port-encoding "UTF-8"))
        (orig-open-input-string str)))

    (define (open-output-string)
      (with-fluids ((%default-port-encoding "UTF-8"))
        (orig-open-output-string)))

    (define (object->string . args)
      (with-fluids ((%default-port-encoding "UTF-8"))
        (apply orig-object->string args)))

    (define (simple-format . args)
      (with-fluids ((%default-port-encoding "UTF-8"))
        (apply orig-simple-format args)))

    (define (call-with-input-string str proc)
      (proc (open-input-string str)))

    (define (call-with-output-string proc)
      (let ((port (open-output-string)))
        (proc port)
        (get-output-string port)))

    (module-set! mod 'open-input-string       open-input-string)
    (module-set! mod 'open-output-string      open-output-string)
    (module-set! mod 'object->string          object->string)
    (module-set! mod 'simple-format           simple-format)
    (module-set! mod 'call-with-input-string  call-with-input-string)
    (module-set! mod 'call-with-output-string call-with-output-string)

    (when (eqv? (module-ref mod 'format) orig-simple-format)
      (module-set! mod 'format simple-format))))