On the Guile-SSH future

From: Artyom Poptsov
Subject: On the Guile-SSH future
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 19:33:35 +0300

Hello Guilers.

For those of you who interested in a new release of Guile-SSH [1]:

I *do not* lost an interest in the project, I'm just buried under my
jobs and other tasks.  Yet I'm trying to allocate some time slices for
Guile-SSH.  For example, I just merged the new implementation of RREPL
(stateless RREPL, thanks to Ludovic for the idea) to the master branch.

Currently one of the main showstoppers for the project is the
implementation of the tests: they're failing sometimes and sometimes get
stuck due to some kind of dead-lock or something.  I'm tired of dragging
the current implementation with all its "quirks" from release to
release, so there's a burning need to fix it somehow or re-implement the
testing for the project altogether.  So I guess I'm not going to make a
release untill the problem is fixed.

Many problems with the tests are arising from the fact that Guile-SSH
needs multi-process tests (i.e. client-server tests) and SRFI-64 alone
that I use for tests seems to be a little bit insufficient on its own
for such tests, so I built some kind of a testing framework upon it.

I'd appreciate any testing and help.

Thanks,

- Artyom

[1] https://github.com/artyom-poptsov/guile-ssh