Re: On the Guile-SSH future

From: Linas Vepstas
Subject: Re: On the Guile-SSH future
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 15:39:33 -0500

FYI, I've written a guile telnet server; unfortunately it is deeply buried
in another project and would be hard to abstract.

Why do this? Well, because the default guile-2.2 network REPL server was
slow, would crash, deadlock, have terrible response times, etc. making it
embarrassingly unusable.

I spent an afternoon googling around for a generic telnet/ssh/ssl/whatever
interactive network login terminal server, and, amazingly, got nothing. One
might think that many people/projects/organizations might have a
stand-alone interactive shell of some kind, and needed to slap an
ssh/telnet/whatever interface on it.  Why doesn't such a thing exist?

Maybe because it sounds easy, at first, until you hit the scalability &
reliability and throughput and latency issues, and then ... well, it gets
really hard and really painful to debug.  Whatever. Yes, the world needs
one of these.

-- Linas

--
cassette tapes - analog TV - film cameras - you