Re: guile-2.9.2 and threading

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: guile-2.9.2 and threading
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 01:01:55 -0400

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

>> Two are stuck here:
>>
>> #0  __lll_lock_wait () at
>> ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/lowlevellock.S:135
>> #1  0x00007f343ca69bb5 in __GI___pthread_mutex_lock (
>>     mutex=mutex@entry=0x7f343d4f0f40 <bytes_until_gc_lock>)
>>     at ../nptl/pthread_mutex_lock.c:80
>> #2  0x00007f343d213e20 in scm_gc_register_allocation (size=size@entry=16)
>>     at ../../libguile/gc.c:591
>
> This is the global GC allocation lock, which might be an issue if your
> threads are performing a lot of heap allocation.

Sorry, I spoke too quickly here, although what I wrote is not far from
the truth.  'bytes_until_gc_lock' is used by Guile to protect its global
counter of how much plain 'malloc' memory has been allocated since the
last garbage collection.  Once it reaches a certain threshold, a garbage
collection is forced.

Why do we have this?  Sometimes the GC heap contains a large number of
small collectible objects which reference much larger objects in plain
'malloc' memory.  For example, this can happen if you're creating a lot
of bignums, which are small GC objects pointing to digit data stored in
'malloc' memory.  The garbage collector doesn't trigger because there's
plenty of free memory in the GC heap, and it doesn't know that those
small objects are keeping alive much larger objects elsewhere.

However, if this particular lock is a pain point for you, there are
things we could do to improve this.  One idea that comes to mind is to
keep smaller per-thread counters, which are only added to the global
counter after they reach a certain threshold value.  In this case, we
don't need a precise global count.

        Mark