Re: Srfi-159/166 - monadic formatting for guile

From: Linus Björnstam
Subject: Re: Srfi-159/166 - monadic formatting for guile
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:38:04 +0200

Hi Mark!

I am not sure I understand what you mean, but i suspect it is already solved,
since for simple cases show will use display/write. So unless you try to do
advanced formatting of circular lists it will do whatever display or write
does. The same thing goes for custom printers. In fact, anything that isn't a
regular procedure will be printed just as it does in guile. Due to formatters
being procedures, it is currently not possible to distinguish between
formatters and other lambdas, but wrapping a lambda in (written ...) works just
as (write ...).

So unless you tell show to do something else, it will default do guile's
standard way.

(show #t (exact->inexact 1/7)) is the same as (display (exact->inexact 1/7)),
however (show #t (with ((precision 2)) ...)) is not.

I don't know what circular structures guile uses internally, but (show...)ing a
circular list without any formatter is, like numbers, the same as whatever
guile does. (show #t (circular-list 1 2 3)) displays the same as (display
(circular-list 1 2 3)).

Did I misunderstand your questions?

--
  Linus Björnstam