python on guile, bytevectors

From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe
Subject: python on guile, bytevectors
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 13:14:21 +0200

Hi,

Sometimes people complain about guile string handling, that it is heavy and
that it does some interpretation of the characters. The answer is that you
should use bytevecors and then you hear that bytevectors containing char
codes does not have all the fetaures string has.

If you use python-on-guile you do have the python bytevector interface and
almost all string functions are available. Furthermore I landed yesterday
bytevector support for the python regexp module so that you can now
intyerpret bytevectors with regexpes as well (use the ASCII flag).

To note, I use a PEG parser to manage the regular expressions and it's
slow. You can use the stis-paser directly and get some speedup using cuts
however. This to enable a maintainable and quick implementation. Any patch
that speeds the regexp engine is most welcome.

Happy hacking!