Re: Problem installing the intended version

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Problem installing the intended version
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 19:09:00 -0400

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> In the light of your explanations I think the current problem only
> occurs for _equal_ major/minor with _different_ micro versions.
> Correct?

Yes.

>> and finally "ldconfig" as root.
>
> Doing so I get:
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/local/lib/libguile-2.0.so.22.8.1-gdb.scm is
> not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/local/lib/libguile-2.2.so.1.3.1-gdb.scm is
> not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.
>
> And I've got even more notifications of this kind before I started to
> do the "make uninstall"-thingy.
> Is this expected?

Yes.  The warnings are harmless, although mildly annoying.

The issue is that GDB wants us to put that .scm file in the same
directory as libguile, in order to have GDB auto-load Guile debugging
support for executables linked with libguile.  See section 23.4.1 (The
'OBJFILE-gdb.EXT' file) in "Debugging with GDB":

https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/objfile_002dgdbdotext-file.html

Unfortunately, 'ldconfig' warns about it.  I seem to recall that we
reported the problem to the GDB developers at some point in the past.
Nowadays, most of the Guile developers seem to be using GNU Guix, where
'ldconfig' is never run, so we tend to forget about it.

     Regards,
       Mark