Re: Diversification [ branched from Re: conflicts in the gnu project now

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Diversification [ branched from Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile]
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 10:07:07 +0200

It is nice to read what you write about successful use of Guile.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 06:10:45AM +0000, Todor Kondić wrote:
> But, I doubt any of them would find it natural to take a step
> further and participate in GNU itself (ugh, now I sound like a
> preacher of a new age religion). To my knowledge, interaction within
> GNU communities is still mostly mailing lists and IRC. This _not_ my
> students' natural digital habitat. I am probably not saying anything
> new, though ...

In my experience an e-mail account is still something everyone has and
which friends of mine use at their jobs.  I do not think this is a big
obstacle.  I believe all other on-line communication media have bigger
issues.  I would not like this to change currently.

Anyway, it is good if people know about Scheme and Guix because IMHO
the concepts they stand for are right and most important, even though
in (only) some aspects contributions are still desperately needed for
Scheme/Guile to catch up with other frameworks.  Diversity not only
fits the mission of the GNU Project, GNU also needs people.  But of
course others need people too and non-GNU or non-Scheme projects are
not always wrong.

Regards,
Florian