Re: GNU Mes 0.21 released

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: GNU Mes 0.21 released
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 17:57:19 +0100

Arne Babenhauserheide writes:

>> This release supports a Scheme-only bootstrap: Mes can now be built with
>> Gash and the experimental Gash Core Utils instead of using GNU Awk, GNU
>> Bash, the GNU Core Utilities, GNU Grep, GNU Gzip, GNU Make, GNU SED, and
>> GNU Tar.  Also, the Mes C Library now supports bootstrapping those.
>> Finally, this release brings Mes as a package to Debian GNU/Linux.
>
> That’s two small paragraphs of humble text with a bang that’s hard to
> overstate. Thank you very much!

Yes, I guess you are right.  One reason to stay humble here is that much
works still needs to be done; the actual merge of the Scheme-only
bootstrap only just started and can be followed here

When this gets merged we will do our best to make the announcement more
bold, reflecting the hard work by the bootstrappable team!

>> We are excited that the Nlnet Foundation[12] is now sponsoring this
>> work!
>
> I’m very, very happy that this worked out!

Phew, me too!

>>  - the Hurd
>
> What’s needed for the Hurd in addition to Linux?

The kernel interface part of the C library.  Mes (the scheme
interpreter) comes with MesCC (a C99 compiler for a Guile-compatible
Scheme) which comes with a simple C Library.

This Mes C Library comes in several flavours: libc-mini (write and
exit), libc (for mes), libc+tcc (for tcc) and libc+gnu (for the
bootstrap).  Currently, Mes runs on the Hurd but many kernel calls are
missing.  To start a bootstrap on the Hurd we most need fork and exec.
Things like `stat' are worked around with `open', many other kernel
calls are stubbed.

Once MesCC runs on the Hurd, the fun starts with the Guix bootstrap;
will tcc build on the Hurd, gcc-2.95.3, etc?

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com