Re: [Wikidata] [ANN] nomunofu v0.1.0

From: Ted Thibodeau Jr
Subject: Re: [Wikidata] [ANN] nomunofu v0.1.0
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 18:36:06 -0500

On Dec 22, 2019, at 03:17 PM, Amirouche Boubekki <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all ;-)
>

> I ported the code to Chez Scheme to do an apple-to-apple comparison
> between GNU Guile and Chez and took the time to launch a few queries
> against Virtuoso available in Ubuntu 18.04 (LTS).

Hi, Amirouche --

Kingsley's points about tuning Virtuoso to use available
RAM [1] and other system resources are worth looking into,
but a possibly more important first question is --

   Exactly what version of Virtuoso are you testing?

If you followed the common script on Ubuntu 18.04, i.e., --

   sudo apt update

   sudo apt install virtuoso-opensource

-- then you likely have version 6.1.6 of VOS, the Open Source
Edition of Virtuoso, which shipped 2012-08-02 [2], and is far
behind the latest version of both VOS (v7.2.5+) and Enterprise
Edition (v8.3+)!

The easiest way to confirm what you're running is to review
the first "paragraph" of output from the command corresponding
to the name of your Virtuoso binary --

   virtuoso-t -?

   virtuoso-iodbc-t -?

If I'm right, and you're running 6.x, you'll get much better
test results just by running a current version of Virtuoso.

You can build VOS 7.2.6+ from source [3] (we'd recommend the
develop/7 branch [4] for the absolute latest), or download a
precompiled binary [5] of VOS 7.2.5.1 or 7.2.6.dev.

You can also try Enterprise Edition at no cost for 30 days [5].

[1] http://vos.openlinksw.com/owiki/wiki/VOS/VirtRDFPerformanceTuning

[2]
http://vos.openlinksw.com/owiki/wiki/VOS/VOSNews2012#2012-08-02%20--%20Announcing%20Virtuoso%20Open-Source%20Edition%20v6.1.6.

[3] http://vos.openlinksw.com/owiki/wiki/VOS/VOSBuild

[4] https://github.com/openlink/virtuoso-opensource/tree/develop/7

[5] https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtuoso/files/virtuoso/

> Spoiler: the new code is always faster.
>
> The hard disk is SATA, and the CPU is dubbed: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU
> E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz
>
> I imported latest-lexeme.nt (6GB) using guile-nomunofu, chez-nomunofu
> and Virtuoso:
>
> - Chez takes 40 minutes to import 6GB
> - Chez is 3 to 5 times faster than Guile
> - Chez is 11% faster than Virtuoso

How did you load the data?  Did you use Virtuoso's build-load
facilities?  This is the recommended method [6].

[6] http://vos.openlinksw.com/owiki/wiki/VOS/VirtBulkRDFLoader

> Regarding query time, Chez is still faster than Virtuoso with or
> without cache.  The query I am testing is the following:
>
> SELECT ?s ?p ?o
> FROM <http://fu>
> WHERE {
>  ?s <http://purl.org/dc/terms/language> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q150>
> .
>  ?s <http://wikiba.se/ontology#lexicalCategory>
> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q1084> .
>  ?s <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> ?o
> };
>
> Virtuoso first query takes: 1295 msec.
> The second query takes: 331 msec.
> Then it stabilize around: 200 msec.
>
> chez nomunofu takes around 200ms without cache.
>
> There is still an optimization I can do to speed up nomunofu a little.
>

> Happy hacking!

I'll be interested to hear your new results, with a current build,
and with proper INI tuning in place.

Regards,

Ted