Geiser vs. guile-mode?

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Geiser vs. guile-mode?
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 16:18:23 +0100

Hi!

At the Guix days a little while back we had a session about the tooling to hack
Guile code.

In particular, Geiser seemed to unanimously cause issues:

- How do we insert breakpoints?
- How do we inspect compound objects?  (e.g. SLIME / CIDER style)
- How do we use the stepper (for debugging)?
- Documentation lookup does not work.

The last issue has been reported a long time ago and still hasn't been fixed
upstream:

  https://gitlab.com/jaor/geiser/issues/252

I find the situation a hindrance to Guile development.
I suppose the Guile Studio is also concerned by this.

What do you people suggest?

I know that the Racket community decided to follow its own route with
racket-mode.  So what about a Guile-mode that's well tailored to Guile
development?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/