Re: Guile Studio's goals (and home)

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guile Studio's goals (and home)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 15:25:17 +0100

Hi,

I am an Emacs user.
>From my perspective, Guile Studio is a first experimental attempt
between DrRacket and racket-mode for GNU Guile. Other said, it is a
specialized cosmetic of Emacs for programming in Scheme using Guile
out-of-the-box.

In my labs, people do not even know what an editor is and I am pushing
to use Guix. Well, at one moment or another, one user needs to know
small piece of Scheme. Or at least, they need to be able to open .scm
files, read them, and time to time modify the recipe of a package. The
learning curve of Emacs is too much; going from nothing (or at best
they use RStudio) to Emacs for editing package definition is too much.
Guile Studio could fill the gap, IMHO.

Moreover, note the Guix Workflow Language (GWL) is under development.
Its goal is an alternative to Snakemake (Python flavoured) to write
pipelines for analysing biological data. Therefore, GWL targets users
without any experience to Emacs and Guile Studio should be the default
editor to compose these pipelines. And it should be a way to
popularize Emacs to the non-Emacs users.

https://docs.racket-lang.org/drracket/interface-essentials.html
http://workflows.guix.info/

All the best,
simon