Re: Guile Studio's goals (and home)

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Guile Studio's goals (and home)
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 22:15:05 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> A "problem" doesn't necessarily have to be a bug or a deficiency, it
> could also be a missing feature.  In this case, a missing feature
> could perhaps be described as a lack of guile-ide.el package in Emacs,
> which users of the Guile Studio could simply load, and magically have
> their confusion taken care of.

There is a problem I see: I cannot easily share configurations that can
be loaded with use-package. The main reason for that is that melpa
rejects meta-packages which only setup other packages and adjust some
configuration values.

Another aspect is that "use Emacs for X" is a major selling point of
many publicly shared configurations. If you look outside the box and
check IntelliJ, you’ll see that JetBrains sells several customizations
for specific usecases, so this is not unique to Emacs.

TLDR: It would be nice if Emacs could at startup offer users to select a
customization for a specific use-case.

Best wishes,
Arne
--