Re: [ANN] Guile Hall 0.3.0 released

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: [ANN] Guile Hall 0.3.0 released
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 22:40:08 +0200

Hi Chris,

Hark the wanderer from remote lands returns!  It's nice to have you back
in Guileland :-)

In all seriousness thoug, I think it's really valuable to gain
experiences in different ecosystems and environments and then seeing how
those experiences can grow our community.  I like your insights on
functional hashtables for instance!

Christopher Lemmer Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> Catonano writes:
>
>> Now, I like to remind that Ludo had proposed to _mention_ guile-hall in the
>> guix.texi manual !!
>>
>> Here:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2018-07/msg00002.html
>>
>> "I think we should advertise it widely"
>>
>> I wholeheartedly agree
>>
>> This is an important step in making the Guile user experience less rough
>>
>> Where, in the manual, should such mention be placed ?
>
> The comparative frustration I had with having to use autotools for
> simple guile projects vs when I was developing in Racket was one of the
> things that came up in my FOSDEM talk last year.  I didn't know that in
> my absence Guile Hall came to be, though people told me later.

This is a repeating story.  And it's an interesting one, because I can
really relate to it.  Autotools feels so arcane and has a massively
steep learning curve.  And for people who just want to get on and code
in an awesome language (like Guile), it is hard to argue that learning
autotools is worth the effort.

And yet it, I take it from people more knowledgeable in the matter than
I, it also gives us a lot: when a project is set up to work with
autotools, it will be deployable anywhere Guile and autotools can run.
And that's a pretty nice guarantee I suppose.

> I'm excited that Guile Hall has reduced this overhead considerably, so
> I agree with all the above.

And this is exactly what Hall is supposed to do.

Currently I kind of envision 'the right thing' (as opposed to 'the good
enough thing'), in terms of packaging, autotools + Guix.  And I have
always considered Hall to be something that does not seek to replace
either with simpler things, but to make it easy for people to do the
right thing.

Much like Emacs teaches people Lisp by stealth, just because people
start tweaking their init files; and Guix turns users into contributors
by blurring the line between configuration and development; so I would
like Hall to guide people from 'first steps in Guile' to participant in
the community & user of Emacs & Guix.

> That's all to say, thank you Alex for working on one of the most
> important problems in Guile!  This is great!

Thank you for the kind words :-)

Alex