Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)

From: Vladimir Zhbanov
Subject: Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 09:40:59 +0300

Mike,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 08:57:05PM -0700, Mike Gran wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 10:52:47AM +0800, Christopher Lam wrote:
> > My mistake: gnucash uses MinGW-w64.
> >
> > The gnucash lead developer has a few patches to successfully compile guile
> > on MinGW-w64. It would be great if these patches were taken upstream and a
> > CI pipeline enabled for testing. Otherwise gnucash for windows will always
> > need to catch up, and is at severe risk of falling behind.
> >
> > https://github.com/jralls/guile
> >

> Yeah, that's a patched version of 2.2.7.
>
> Even though I'm on a hiatus from coding, I believe I have all the
> parts to make Guile 3.0.x work on MinGW 32-bit no-threads.  Maybe I'll
> just see if I can't put that together real quick.

You don't even imagine how many projects/devs are waiting for your
efforts! (Maybe even twice more than just 'gnucash' :-))

And I really would very much appreciate the effort, I know how
much non-trivial it is.  Five years ago I cross-compiled
guile-2.0.9 with all its GC bugs on windows and got a working
version of our tools only after 3-5 months.  Now, I'm trying to
repeat this effort with new versions, and see it again :-(

Thank you for your work!

--
  Vladimir

(λ)επτόν EDA — https://github.com/lepton-eda