Re: Implementing a "write" method for self-evaluating objects (by equal?

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: Implementing a "write" method for self-evaluating objects (by equal?)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 16:17:58 -0400

In general you want to print records but not make them readable, as there
are often constraints against allowing arbitrary values in the fields.  For
example, in SRFI 117 list queues, there are two fields named head and
tail.  Either both must be the empty list, or they must both be pairs and
tail must be a tail of head: that is, if you apply cdr to head repeatedly,
you will eventually get a value that is eq? to tail.  Allowing other random
values to be read in would break the SRFI 117 procedures.