Re: Surprising behavior of eq?

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: Surprising behavior of eq?
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 09:52:06 -0400

What's happening is that you are trying to compare strings with an
inappropriate predicate.  Eqv? tests for *identity* (being the same
object), whereas equal? tests for *equality* (havng the same structure).
Therefore, (equal? "foo" "foo") will always return #t, and almost all the
time that's the predicate you should use.

The question then is: when are two strings identical and not merely equal?
In the general case, they are identical if they are the result of a single
constructor.  Thus given:

(define a (string #\a #\b #\c))
(define b a)

then (eqv? a b) => #t

But given

(define c (string #\a #\b #c))
(define d (string #\a #\b #c))

then (eqv? c  d) => #f

Finally, we have to deal with string literals.  If there is more than one
appearance of "xyz" in code, they are all equal, but are they identical?
The answer is that it is implementation-dependent.  A Scheme is free to
consolidate all equal literals into the same object.  It looks like Guile
does so when they both appear in the same top-level expression, but *not*
in different top-level expressions.  So given

(define e "xyz")
(define f "xyz")

then (eqv? e f) => #f

But (let ((g "xyz") (h "xyz"))  (eqv? g h)) => #t, because Guile
consolidates the two equal literals into a single object.  If you try this
on Chibi Scheme, you'll get #f, because Chibi does *not* consolidate string
literals.

I hope that is helpful.